Skip to main content

Liam is going home

Loads to do today.  Gerhard and I need to learn how to bath Liam, clean the umbilical cord stump, dress Liam, and feed Liam.  All the things that other parents learn on Day 1. 

So it’s time for us to give him his first bath.  You hold his head like a rugby ball, soap all over, ears closed.  The little guy hates water!

Now to put on some of those adorable clothes that mommy packed (the first 2 days in NICU Liam was naked and yesterday he wore some NICU clothes).  Guess what, these things are all way too big!  Never trust other people when they tell you that nobody wears new-born clothes.  Anyhow, we get a whole sheet of instructions, telephone numbers, and dates for follow up visits with the paediatrician and paediatric neurosurgeon and finally, we are off. 

Gerhard drives at around 10 kilometres an hour, we live 10 minutes away from the hospital and it takes us half an hour to get there.  Gerhard went shopping when I was still in hospital; we have a new baby bath and a breastfeeding pillow.  Liam's camp cot and angel care monitor has been set up in our room and so begins our "babymoon". 

We spend a full week in our bedroom, cuddling, watching Liam with amazement and just being at peace with the world.  After 4 days of pure hell, this is bliss.  I love my little boy to bits.  Gerhard tells me that my boobs are huge and I can see him secretly hoping that they will stay that way.  Gerhard is a fantastic dad, getting up for every feed and every diaper change.  We realise just how lucky our escape was and we are so thankful for our little miracle.  We actually joke and say that we will call him Miracle in the African tradition. 

I am of course still paranoid and I start reading to Liam on Day 5, I also show him shapes and colours and sounds.  I play Mozart and other classical music.  I am STIMULATING Liam; I will not let my child be even a millimetre behind his contemporaries and so begins 6 months of maternity leave and post-natal depression. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...