Skip to main content

2013, lets go!


Everytime I get on an aeroplane, I get this unbelievable sadness that just totally surrounds me, and I think back to the start of 2012 and the four of us getting on a plane off to Sydney.  I vividly recall all the crying and hanging on to a couple of last sad chats via bbm.  Gerhard and I sat at opposite sides of the isle each with a kid in tow and I just felt despondent.  So I am never truly surprised that we never made it in Sydney, actually more shocked that we actually did it.

Looking back at 2012, it has actually been a truly amazing year for us and in many instances we learnt a lot and I like to think that we grew, all of us, not just Liam and Luka in length and mommy in girth.  We have come a long way, left home and back, found jobs, a home, cars, furniture, schools etc, some of these things twice over the space of literally weeks. 

We made some radical changes, we have different jobs, a different style of décor going, I have way less shoes than before, although I still have about 50 pairs in my cupboard, you can only minimise to a certain extent ok.  Some things are the same as before, like Sekai looking after us, taxes, the usual stuff.  We made some new friends, we got in touch with some old friends.  All in all, change was probably the only constant for us in 2012. 

So given the 2012 that we had, we just returned from a magical three week vacation.  I can honestly say that we are well rested, and most of all well fed.  We spent two weeks at the magical Prince’s Grant, Gerhard played golf, we swam, went to the spa, played on the beach and generally just ate and drank way too much.  Then we spent a last week at Zebula, balancing a seaside holiday with a bush getaway.  The kids were good, and cute, and Luka really started talking, a lot.  So one of these days Gerhard and I will start sending each other sms’s as we barely get in a word with Liam and all his talking.  We are all nice and tanned, nice and round but still in a happy space. 
I feel like I have had enough to drink to last me a very long time, it is not the eating of December that gets to me, it is the constant enjoyment of an alcoholic beverage of some sort, and that dread that comes at three pm when it is time for yet another cider, or a glass of wine, or whatever.  I am so tired of drinks that I would much prefer some battery acid right about now, and who knows, it might aid in weight loss... will keep you posted. 
It is back to reality now, to get rid of the unwanted kilograms, the tans will fade, the suntan lotion will expire, but hey, we are off to Mauritius in 6 months, so I am counting the days as we speak. 
So here is to 2013, who knows what this year will have in store for us! Raise your glass. 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids