Skip to main content

2013, lets go!


Everytime I get on an aeroplane, I get this unbelievable sadness that just totally surrounds me, and I think back to the start of 2012 and the four of us getting on a plane off to Sydney.  I vividly recall all the crying and hanging on to a couple of last sad chats via bbm.  Gerhard and I sat at opposite sides of the isle each with a kid in tow and I just felt despondent.  So I am never truly surprised that we never made it in Sydney, actually more shocked that we actually did it.

Looking back at 2012, it has actually been a truly amazing year for us and in many instances we learnt a lot and I like to think that we grew, all of us, not just Liam and Luka in length and mommy in girth.  We have come a long way, left home and back, found jobs, a home, cars, furniture, schools etc, some of these things twice over the space of literally weeks. 

We made some radical changes, we have different jobs, a different style of décor going, I have way less shoes than before, although I still have about 50 pairs in my cupboard, you can only minimise to a certain extent ok.  Some things are the same as before, like Sekai looking after us, taxes, the usual stuff.  We made some new friends, we got in touch with some old friends.  All in all, change was probably the only constant for us in 2012. 

So given the 2012 that we had, we just returned from a magical three week vacation.  I can honestly say that we are well rested, and most of all well fed.  We spent two weeks at the magical Prince’s Grant, Gerhard played golf, we swam, went to the spa, played on the beach and generally just ate and drank way too much.  Then we spent a last week at Zebula, balancing a seaside holiday with a bush getaway.  The kids were good, and cute, and Luka really started talking, a lot.  So one of these days Gerhard and I will start sending each other sms’s as we barely get in a word with Liam and all his talking.  We are all nice and tanned, nice and round but still in a happy space. 
I feel like I have had enough to drink to last me a very long time, it is not the eating of December that gets to me, it is the constant enjoyment of an alcoholic beverage of some sort, and that dread that comes at three pm when it is time for yet another cider, or a glass of wine, or whatever.  I am so tired of drinks that I would much prefer some battery acid right about now, and who knows, it might aid in weight loss... will keep you posted. 
It is back to reality now, to get rid of the unwanted kilograms, the tans will fade, the suntan lotion will expire, but hey, we are off to Mauritius in 6 months, so I am counting the days as we speak. 
So here is to 2013, who knows what this year will have in store for us! Raise your glass. 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...