Skip to main content

How do I end up doing the things I do…

We all lead busy lives right, and sometimes fitting it all in becomes rather hectic, and my schedule on most days consists of kids, husband, work, gym, shopping.  At least the cooking and cleaning (and yes, I have even taught my beloved Sekai how to bake bread) is generally outsourced, although I do try and at least pack lunchboxes myself.

 
So on Monday nights we usually stay home, Tuesday nights are spent Zumba-ing away at gym, Wednesdays home night, Thursdays are date night, this usually consists of our ballroom dancing lesson at Arthur Murray followed by dinner, or movies, or a show or whatever, Fridays are pig out pizza and movie nights, I also have a boxing lesson with my trainer at the gym, Saturday mornings are generally spent at gym, or I run a ten kilometre race, or sometimes play golf with Gerhard.  This is followed by visits with friends, shopping and the like and Sundays are spent in any manner that we like, mostly braaing quietly at home, chilling with a margarita.

 
In between this, I do quite a bit of volunteering, love to read, love to have playdates with the kids and mommy friends, I am addicted to social media like facebook, twitter and pinterest and I also love baking.  I love being busy and I cannot sit still.  I think I might be suffering from ADHD, but my OCD ensures that I am a productive person.

 
So, on Monday I did something crazy and joined a social field hockey league.  Yes, eighteen years after last playing hockey, I am now proud to say that at the age of thirty six, I have decided to take up hockey again.  At least the ladies play on weekends, with very little practice, and my friend the teacher, who still coaches hockey and lives next door to me promised to lend a hand, I do feel sorry for the poor sods who will be driving past me in the park close to home being coached in the fine art of hitting the ball, but hey, worse things have happened and hey, my kids are still too small to be embarrassed by mom’s antics.  My great grandmother on my father’s side got dementia late in life and walked around the neighbourhood naked, so if the dementia is hereditary, I might be in a reasonable shape when I do end up walking around the neighbourhood naked…

My poor team, they have no idea what they are getting, at least I am fit, and I have zumba and tango moves, might come in handy, who knows.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...