Skip to main content

Unplugged edition - Nirvana style

When I was growing up, we all had that one Nirvana unplugged CD.  You know the one where the poor drug addict screams his little lungs out, come as you are...preferably high.  In my case I also had an Eric Clapton unplugged CD.  The first CD I ever owned in fact was the Eric Clapton one, the teary Tears in Heaven and the more upbeat Layla played extensively on my DVD player back in the day.  I don’t think that any of us really knew just what unplugged meant, or how we would in time to come need to unplug ourselves from the network a bit.

This past weekend we went to a cherry farm in Fouriesburg, Free-State with some friends, and the most amazing part of the weekend was most probably the fact that our smartphones had zero reception.  Zero as in nada, zip, this meant no BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook or emails.  It was quite a new experience to be living in the moment again and not living the moment on Facebook tagging along all the time. 
Yes, I am the first to admit that when we arrived on Friday and I discovered the lack of reception, I panicked and walked around phone in the air waving my hands like I just don’t care, but then I relaxed, I realised that my husband and children were right there next to me and Sekai would be more than capable of dealing with any crisis at home.  Hell she probably had a pool party with margaritas, and good on her, that woman works way too hard anyway.

Technically speaking I was on leave and replied to emails for the biggest part of the day on Friday, so I could not really do much more now could I .  Monday was only a whisper away, and let's just face up to the fact that it is November, pre-festive season slowness has started in most of our beautiful country and we might as well be in full government shut down mode similar to Barak's people over in the US. 
On a recent family vacation in Mauritius, Gerhard and I religiously checked emails once a day, replied to the urgent ones and posted some pics on Facebook, you know just so people could see us relaxing, having fun.  Crazy, madness and just a bit sad really.  When five year old kids as you if you are on Facebook, it is funny and sad at the same time. When they ask you to just Whatsapp the teacher that they are sick, you know we have a problem!
So we forcefully unplugged this past weekend, the kids had a ball, Liam caught his first ever fish, he is hooked in a manner of speaking so I guess Gerhard will unplug again, soon, rod and tackle in hand.  Luka played outside, and shouted ‘moo’ at every single cow she saw, Gerhard played golf, I went to the spa, and you know what, the photographs were still there to load on Facebook this morning, and the office believe it or not still stands, regrettably so. 
If you are looking for me in December 2013 folks, I am unplugging at an undisclosed destination, phone in the cubbyhole of the bakkie.  Pics will follow in January 2014.  No more panicked hand waving cellphone reception seeking for me thank you very much, I pay a lot of money for my holidays, and so I will be experiencing them, real time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...