Skip to main content

On the eve of my first protest

It is the eve of my first ever protest about anything really.  I am a little scared, a little excited, a little apprehensive but extremely motivated.  For those not following South African politics, our President last week fired our honest Minister of Finance and the South African economy took a tumble and we were downgraded to junk status by ratings agencies.

Economic and political uncertainty ensued all because of one man’s greed and corruption.  Junk status has dire implications for our country and as always the people who will be most affected are the poorest of the poor.  Interest rates will rise, so will inflation and food prices, jobs will be lost, the list of horrible things goes on.

Ordinary South Africans have now had enough and for the first time ever people from all walks of life are united behind a common cause, to save South Africa. 

I have never in my 40 years on this earth been moved by any cause, not enough to actually take action, but I am afraid.  I am afraid that my children will have no future in this great country that we call home.  I am scared that thousands of people on government grants will fall further into a deep cesspool of despair that they will never get out.  I am scared that our country is falling apart faster than some good people that remain can rebuild it.  I am scared for my children growing up in the era of Zuma’s where there are no Mandela’s or Kathrada’s left. 

What can you do?  As someone who already tried and failed the emigrating to Australia route, my only option, my only legal right is to protest.  To march peacefully with what I hope to be thousands of others and to make the world take notice of us and our fears and despairs, but also our hopes.  Our hopes of fixing this country of ours.  The country of Mandela, Chris Barnard and Uncle Kathy.  The country of Trevor Noah, Mahatma Gandhi, Gary Player.  Diversity, unity, strength.

I brought my sneakers, a poster, and a South African flag and at 1pm today I am marching in the Sandton mile, a peaceful protest for change in our country.  I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders, it is heavy, because I am not marching for myself.  I am marching for my children and their children, for my elderly granny who cannot march.  For some South Africans who are too scared to march, or who simply have given up and who think that marching and social media activity is not enough to save our country.  I am marching because it is my constitutional right to do so and I am marching because I can no longer sit around doing nothing.  I am marching because I know that together we can achieve more and I am marching because bad things tend to happen when good people do nothing.

I will not be alone in my quest,  I am joined by a team and making posters and shouting the odd “Amandla” in the office has been cathartic and liberating.  It feels like we are finally doing something about our fate.  When I look at us and our different races, religious convictions, ages, genders, I am filled with hope, there is more keeping us together than there is tearing us apart.  South Africans must unite and see that we are all the same, that we share the same hopes, fears and dreams.  This is our country, it belongs to all of us and together we can take a stance and bring about change.  People should stop thinking that they are small and insignificant and powerless.  There is an African proverb that says

“If you think you are too small to make a       difference, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito”.

We all matter, and if we all stand together we can make this work.

God bless Africa, Amandla Awethu


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...