Skip to main content

We are becoming farmers baby


Gerhard and I were city dwellers, it was in our blood, we had been out of the small town of Middelburg, Mpumalanga for almost 10 years.  We left to go to varsity in Pretoria and never returned.  I liked the city.  I loved the idea of being able to go grocery shopping at 4 o’clock on a Sunday afternoon.  I loved the fact that you were never more than a kilometre away from a Woollies Food.  I loved the craziness and the people, the hustle and the bustle.  We were city dwellers. 
 
Gerhard finished his articles and was a fully fledged CA, I was working at Ernst & Young in Johannesburg and loving it.  Gerhard battled to find a job as this was the start of EE in South Africa.  In the end, he landed a lovely position in Middelburg, and started a long year of commuting the 150 kilometers a day to Middelburg. 

I could see that this was not sustainable and in the end, I resigned from EY. Moved to a house in Middelburg, EY did not accept my resignation, so for another year I commuted.  I slept in a hotel in Joburg on Tuesday and Wednesdays and spent Mondays and Fridays working from home.  This was also rather hectic and I resigned a second and final time. 

It was during this period that we built a house on my dad’s farm and moved to the farm.  And I was bored senseless within minutes after arriving on the farm.  Well, in that case, there is obviously only one thing to do baby, we will start farming…

Now for those that know me, I am not farmer material, I go for facials and pedicures, I wear suits to work, I belong in the boardroom damnit.  So how did it come about that I was clearing the muck from what was soon to become my diary you might ask.  How did I learn all about the trials and tribulations of the dairy farmer, know about things like mastitis and ‘rooi water’.  Heaven only knows.  Well, we did it, we bought a registered herd of jerseys, we put up the dairy, I learnt all there is to know about feed technology, illnesses, calves, milk production, milk hygiene and the like.  It was an interesting yet rough ride. 

What do I miss most about my days as a farmer you might ask?  My white gumboots of course!  There is nothing that quite beats getting dressed for work in a pair of jeans and t-shirts and a pair of Wellies.  I would trade that for my little black suit and high heels any day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...