Skip to main content

We are becoming farmers baby


Gerhard and I were city dwellers, it was in our blood, we had been out of the small town of Middelburg, Mpumalanga for almost 10 years.  We left to go to varsity in Pretoria and never returned.  I liked the city.  I loved the idea of being able to go grocery shopping at 4 o’clock on a Sunday afternoon.  I loved the fact that you were never more than a kilometre away from a Woollies Food.  I loved the craziness and the people, the hustle and the bustle.  We were city dwellers. 
 
Gerhard finished his articles and was a fully fledged CA, I was working at Ernst & Young in Johannesburg and loving it.  Gerhard battled to find a job as this was the start of EE in South Africa.  In the end, he landed a lovely position in Middelburg, and started a long year of commuting the 150 kilometers a day to Middelburg. 

I could see that this was not sustainable and in the end, I resigned from EY. Moved to a house in Middelburg, EY did not accept my resignation, so for another year I commuted.  I slept in a hotel in Joburg on Tuesday and Wednesdays and spent Mondays and Fridays working from home.  This was also rather hectic and I resigned a second and final time. 

It was during this period that we built a house on my dad’s farm and moved to the farm.  And I was bored senseless within minutes after arriving on the farm.  Well, in that case, there is obviously only one thing to do baby, we will start farming…

Now for those that know me, I am not farmer material, I go for facials and pedicures, I wear suits to work, I belong in the boardroom damnit.  So how did it come about that I was clearing the muck from what was soon to become my diary you might ask.  How did I learn all about the trials and tribulations of the dairy farmer, know about things like mastitis and ‘rooi water’.  Heaven only knows.  Well, we did it, we bought a registered herd of jerseys, we put up the dairy, I learnt all there is to know about feed technology, illnesses, calves, milk production, milk hygiene and the like.  It was an interesting yet rough ride. 

What do I miss most about my days as a farmer you might ask?  My white gumboots of course!  There is nothing that quite beats getting dressed for work in a pair of jeans and t-shirts and a pair of Wellies.  I would trade that for my little black suit and high heels any day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids