Skip to main content

All about Luka

Just after Liam was born, things started deteriorating in South Africa to such an extent that Gerhard and I decided to immigrate to Australia.  We went over to Australia for the first time in October / November 2008 when Liam was four months old and fell in love with Sydney.  We applied for permanent residence and went over to Australia again in December 2010 to validate our visas, only there were really four of us on that plane to Sydney as I was 17 weeks pregnant this time around. 

We always knew we wanted to have two kids, Liam and Luka, and when Liam was 1 and a half, we decided to start trying again.  The same story as with Liam and in the end, I fell pregnant in August 2010.  Even though actively trying, it still comes as a bit of a shock to the system when you do a pregnancy test and there are two lines.  So timing wise, this was not great as we planned to actually be in Oz in April 2011.  Luka's due date is the 26th of April 2011.  After careful consideration, we decided that Luka must be born in SA, I will not survive a repeat of Liam's birth in a foreign country without friends and family, so then we decided OK, September 2011, we will have a passport for Luka, a visa and she will be 4 months old and over the worst. 

I then had a mini-nervous breakdown as this meant that I would have to resign this week and spend four months at home on unpaid maternity leave.  Some more thinking and we decided, OK, lets revisit this in January 2012 and that is that.  So January 2012 will be a big month for the four of us. 

Anyhow, I digress, Luka...Yes, a very normal and uneventful pregnancy until the routine Downs Syndrome scan at 13 weeks.  Doctors use this scan to determine the possibility of the baby having downs dyndrome.  They measure the nuchal fold at the back of the baby's neck.  1mm is ideal, anything over 10mm is not good.  So Luka measured at 5mm...the gynea then said that this is no reason for concern, let’s follow up with blood tests.  After two weeks of waiting for the results, I call the gynea's office and I am told that all is clear.  Two weeks later, I arrive for a routine 16 week scan, and the gynea says, sit down...your downs risk is 1/40.  They found some increased pregnancy hormones in my blood and that is never good. 

Now Gerhard and I have talked about this a lot, we will not proceed with a downs pregnancy.  We already have Liam to think of and we both have stressful careers.  So we opt to do an amniocentesis at 17 weeks, incidentally also the day that we leave for vacation in Oz.  What a day...it’s a fairly simple procedure involving a needle being inserted into your stomach to draw out fluid.  This is done whilst scanning to ensure that the needle is far away from the baby.  I was fine until I stood in reception to pay...then it felt like I was about to faint!  To this day Gerhard is convinced that the needle pricked Luka on the leg as there was a pretty tense moment when the scan machine blacked out whilst the needle was in my tummy!

Anyhow, two long weeks of vacation and then the call came whilst we were in Perth, it’s all fine and it’s definitely a girl.  

Finally after more than two months of stress, we could relax and enjoy this pregnancy!  It has truly gone past in a blur and it’s because we did not really want to get excited at all!  

So at 19 / 40 weeks, we finally started getting excited and I think it might be my imagination, but I started looking pregnant shortly thereafter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids