Skip to main content

Luka is one

It feels like yesterday when I was pregnant and now Luka is one, we had a pink polkadot birthday party and she went to school yesterday, how on earth did that happen.  She is only one and so much happened in that year!

We moved to Australia, sold all our worldly goods, we moved house, Luka started school, twice, I started a new job after being jobless for two months, the list goes on.

Yes, Luka started school, best of all, she started sleeping through the night, we still feel like we cannot take her grocery shopping, yet we jumped on a plane with her, twice.  It is simply unbelievable.

She is a very clever little girl and the teachers at her school use words like 'spirited' and 'strong willed' to describe her, where she gets that from I simply do not know...

Liam and Gerhard are in the Kruger Park this week and the girls are left home alone.  I am exhausted as I spent the night tossing and turning sleeping in the middle of the bed, then on my side, Gerhard's side...I hate sleeping alone.  Gerhard starts work on Monday, we have a house full of stuff and two cars, so all in all, we are back to normal, or just about as normal as people who did all the things we did in a year can be, sometimes I think that stone cold crazy about sums it up.

We are busy, trying new things, learning new things, doing things I never thought possible, we go to gym, we run, and we dance. 

So what I am trying to say in a very roundabout way, we are in a happy space, we are back where we belong, it feels good and we are happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...