Skip to main content

Christmas time again


 
Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, the tree, the gifts, the carols, all of it.  But, to be honest, I sort of lost interest in Christmas for a couple of years immediately following my parents’ divorce, but then after having Liam and Luka, things really perked up again and the tree was put up with more gusto than before and Boney M was played loudly from the 1st of November.   

Last year was a very sad year as we planned our cross-continent move to Australia and everything was done for the last time, the last Christmas, the last New Year, the last supper, like a bunch of convicts being banned to, well Australia.  Well, that is how I perceived it in a bit of a self-induced haze.

Immediately following Christmas, the tree was dismantled and handed over to my mother-in-law who still had the first ever Christmas tree erected in the manger still smelling a bit like frankincense and having been chewed on by the cows present at that momentous occasion. 

So this year, despite it now being the 3rd of December, we are still tree-less, Boney M has has not wished us a merry Christmas from the bottom of their hearts , no Christmas stockings were hung, to be honest, no gifts have as yet been acquired.  The older I get, the harder it is to actually get into the spirit of things.  There is something just a tad sad about Christmas and a fat man in a red suit, maybe I am getting cynical in my old (er) days and thinking of all those Christmases past, all the people we lost along the way.  Lost in more ways than one, sometimes it is people you just lost touch with, some more deliberate than others.

I think of all the homeless and hungry kids, and then wonder if I really must cook a chicken, a leg of lamb, every vegetable known to man and then some puddings and of course a brandy drenched cake.  Sometimes I feel like just drinking the brandy , sniffing the glitter, putting a Santa hat on my head and wrapping some old forgotten toys and pretending its new.  Kids aged one and four do not eat leg of lamb in any event, do they?

Then I pull myself together, take the tinsel off my head, stop fantasising about dropping the kids at my mother-in-law for Christmas, despite her now having a killer tree, and spending Christmas in bed with some brandy (we won’t have a cake if we don’t have kids, and its cognac, not brandy ok) and a good book and I just do Christmas.

You see, Christmas must not be over-analysed; Christmas is best experienced, preferably with some little people, who still believe in magic, elves and Santa Clause.  Christmas is a time for spending quality time with those near and dear to you.  Christmas is not about the leg of lamb, the gifts or the glitter.  And you know what, it is ok to be a tad sad too, to reminisce about the past, what could have been, what should be and to clear your head for the next year.

 
So leave me alone, let me be happy and sad, and yes, that is glitter on my face, you can’t keep a good woman down, off to buy some baubles and brandy, and who knows, because I have been very very good, I might get to sit on Santa’s lap and have all my wishes come true. 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...