Skip to main content

The Ballad of Lucy Jordan

WE had a rather uneventful weekend, after quite a hectic start to the year 2014, we decided to just have a quiet one at home and it was lovely!  So yesterday I literally popped out to the shops for all of half an hour, sure thing, Barney Simon plays his long lost classics on Jacaranda FM and I get all teary when that Marianne Faithfull classic, the Ballad of Lucy Jordan starts playing. This in a week where Sheryl Crow turned 50 and Jennifer Aniston turned 45…


You see, I have a rather significant birthday coming up, yes, I am turning 37 in less than two weeks, and all of a sudden I wonder when I got to be so old…
and as the poor Lucy Jordan, I too realised I have not driven through Paris in a sports car with the warm wind in my hair (Lucy Jordan also wants to ride, I want to drive, what a difference from the late seventies to the now).  And that really got me thinking, when we are in our twenties, we seem to believe with one hundred percent conviction that we are bullet proof and that we will take over the world.  The sky is the proverbial limit and we will have kids and jobs and husbands and weekends in Paris driving around in sports cars. 


What nobody tells us is that the Rand Dollar or Rand Euro exchange rate will be forever against us, and that the cost of keeping two fairly small kids in a good school will far outweigh the cost of plane tickets to Paris.  They do not tell us that Paris smells of pee and that you would rather keep the top up when driving through those streets, if you are lucky enough to actually drive and not be pushed off the road by rude Parisian drivers.  

They forget to mention the fact that whilst Lucy Jordan dreams of a thousand lovers, the average mother is so tired at the end of the work day that she dreams of sleep, uninterrupted sleep.  The average mother with kids under the age of five would rather take a vow of chastity rather than ever fall pregnant again, a thousand lovers my ass.  They never mention that you have to literally get in the cupboard after work, just for ten minutes of peace and quiet before the brood starts their daily ritual of killing one another. 


So before I started to over-identify with Lucy Jordan, I realised that she had options, she could clean the house, or re-arrange the flowers, indicating that her kids were big, no flower arrangement lasts long in my house and cleaning gets done by Sekai.  I can hardly call my mini cooper cabriolet a sports car, but the top can come off and I often feel the warm wind in my hair.  I have been to Paris, yes, Paris France and in all honesty, I prefer the small town of Parys in the Free State to the version smelling like pee.  In Paris France’s defence, I was heavily pregnant when I went there the second time around and nothing smelled like roses, I had also recently given up smoking, so all the French people wearing black sucking on their gauloise just irritated me.


I think Lucie Jordan suffered from premature expectations, Gerhard and I have a plan, work hard, retire early,  I will still ride in a sports car through the streets of Paris / Parys with the warm wind in my hair, kids all grown up, or on the farm with grandparents.  And if Sheryl Crow can rock at 50 and Jennifer Aniston can be gorgeous at 45, it just means that I am not ready for retirement and the streets of Paris just yet. 


At the age of 36.9, Niki van Wyk realised that life only starts at around 37 :) 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids