Skip to main content

Afrikaans will never die

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending my first Francois van Coke show. I think most people my age were still listening to Koos Kombuis, Johannes Kerkorrel and maybe some Karen Zoid as our mainstream alternative Afrikaans music not believing that anyone else had anything real to add to the struggle. 

So imagine my surprise when I dragged Gerhard along to this show, and Francois van Coke and his two man band managed to rock in Afrikaans. People could never quite manage that and always sounded like they were chocking on broccoli when attempting to rock in Afrikaans. I was blown away. What struck me even more is that it seemed as if Francois van Coke in some of his many guises managed to attract diverse crowds, not bad for an Afrikaans guy right.

We missed the rise of Fokofpolisiekar, probably because we were so consumed with raising our two rockers at home, and probably because Liam and Luka were at a particularly impressionable age where we did not want to even whisper words like Fokofpolisiekar to each other let alone say it out loud. Can you imagine me shouting over the nappybag on my way to do the morning nursery school run asking Gerhard to bring the Fokofpolisiekar CD? Another reason that comes to mind is that there has been a transition from CD’s with CD covers to first MP3’s and now services like Google Play Music allowing some measure of discreetness. Google Play Music is to music what the Kindle is to books, no grown woman should ever be seen dead or alive reading smut like “Fifty Shades of Grey”. Just picture my over eager first time reader Liam last year reading everything and anything including the manufacturers notes on toilet paper, the instructions on the coffee filter box, the warning labels on the vitamin bottle, picking up a bright coloured CD case and slowly sounding out the word F O K O F P O L I S I E K A R…can you spell disaster? We would have been hauled in front of the school principal, a good god fearing woman and I don’t think our little Liam’s squeaky clean reputation would have survived this. Calling this band the ‘Karre’ like so many prim and proper radio stations tried to do would also not have worked, it’s a bit weird and you end up lying to your kids. I also don’t want Liam to be a total geek later on in life referring to Fokofpolisiekar as the “Karre”.  

Anyhow, the theatre was packed to capacity, the (younger) crowd went ballistic, the older crowd (ok Gerhard and I) clapped along with enthusiasm bearing in mind that we did not know a single song, it pains me to admit that we were probably (ok definitely) the oldest people there by a mile. But you know what, it did not matter, especially when Karen Zoid made a guest appearance and they sang their hit song.

Afrikaans will never die for it is the language that we all live in, love in, die in. I am just not convinced that my crowd are quite convinced of the rock merits of Afrikaans. They all (Luka included) are classic rockers and some Afrikaans music is just a tad too fluffy for them. Long live the Afrikaans, and whatever other language rocks your boat, as long as the rock is classical and as long as in Luka’s last words there is an “electricity guitar”.




Note: I shamelessly enjoyed typing out the words Fokofpolisiekar six times during the writing of this piece






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...