Skip to main content

New Year New Beginnings

What is it about new years, new beginnings and the reflection that goes along with it?

I am not one for making New Year’s resolutions, but this year as luck would have it I decided to do some things differently in the New Year.  Not resolutions, just slight tweaks to my life and lifestyle for the better, I hope.  For starters, I just went and bought myself a brand new pair of running shoes, bright orange so that people will see me and not run me over.  I decided that this is my year, I am turning forty and I want to be fabulous when that happens.  Also, Gerhard finally agreed to take me to New York this year and I want to be in good shape when that happens!  I want to be able to walk, ok, maybe trot from one glorious store to the next in my pursuit of the perfect pair of shoes.  Who am I kidding, PAIRS OF SHOES.  

Gerhard and I went for a bicycle ride in the estate yesterday, we left the kids alone and unsupervised for about half an hour and man, we almost died.  Bicycling is not for those recently returned from island vacations.  We were huffing and puffing like puff the magic dragon.  We have been eating salads and fish, we decided to have a dry January, and by dry I don’t mean that we will be drinking brut champagne only.   We have been drinking bananacoladas and g & t’s for almost a month, and now #fatmustfall!

This year I want to read more books and spend less time reading about books on the internet.  I want to exercise more, be able to run a 10k without breaking too much of a sweat.  I also realised that you don’t need to drive to the gym to get in a good workout and sometimes all you need is a bicycle or a pair of running shoes.  I want to cook more, eat fresher salads and vegetables.  I want to find something good in every day, and not spend the entire year going through the motions to get to December and to go on a month long holiday.  I am more than my job, the key is to leave for work late enough in the morning to ensure that you still spend some quality time with the family before the day starts.  To leave early enough to still spend some daylight time together.  I want to enjoy my home.  I want to sit by the pool and read good books, I want to go to bed later, sleep a bit later, sleep better, have quality of life.  I plan on getting rid of some of our clutter, amazing how much my small tribe seems to accumulate over the course of a year.  I want to go for regular massages, basically I want to spend some time doing things that I love doing.  And the best part is that Liam and Luka are finally at an age where this seems possible.   I am even thinking about some studying, but hey, maybe I am just currently high on life and should not be allowed to make any big decisions before February rolls along.

We had the most amazing December holiday.  We spent two glorious weeks basking in the sunshine and blue skies of Mauritius.  We swam, paddled, read books and drank delicious bananacoladas.  We slept late, we ate way too much, we relaxed the way you can only truly do on a tropical island.  The kids had a ball, Luka loved the kids club and insisted on going day and night.  It took us completely by surprise, this child, who is shy and reserved and does not like strangers, demanding to go to the kids club.  The lovely Nolette, Jessica and Komal played with Luka and she also learnt how to swim underwater.  She also lost her first tooth and there was great excitement when the tooth fairy came to visit!  She was filled with henna tattoos and wore her sega skirt day and night, she blossomed this little island girl of ours.  Luka went crab hunting with Nolette, she picked up seashells, they rode on horseback, the list of things that these kids did are long and endless, and we all had such an amazing time.

Liam enjoyed kids club with his friend Harry from the UK, until Harry left and the kids club became an all girl affair.  He then decided to rather spend time with his parents bugging us to go on the ‘pedalo’ (pedal boat) with him.  I really had fun watching the two of them through the window at kids club especially on nights where they had a disco.  Let us just say that Liam’s funky chicken moves are very cute, but I hope he unlearns them before going to a proper high school dance.   This child loves sports, any sports and he loves talking to people.  He played tennis and golf and swam like a fish in the water.  He is just such a lovely easy going guy with the most adorable freckles in the world. 

Fast-forward to a rather eventful Christmas 2017, one spent with family about two hours’ drive away from our home.  We had a nice and relaxing morning, had a breakfast at the local Mugg and Bean before driving to Middelburg.  Once we greeted my family, Gerhard opens the back of the Prado and says “shit”.  Yes, you guessed it, we left our nicely wrapped Christmas presents at home.  Well, everybody needs a little time alone, and Gerhard got to spend lots of quality time with himself on Christmas Eve.  We had a real Santa Clause and after some initial hesitation, Luka smiled and posed for picture after picture with Santa Clause.

I love my little family and I love seeing them happy, sun kissed and relaxed.  I cannot wait to see what 2017 will bring, the places we will see, the people we will meet, the things we will do and the books we will read.  So from my home to yours, Happy New year, make sure it’s a good one.  xxx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids