Skip to main content

Enough already! Voltaren and other poisons

I know I have complained about my pregnancy paranoia before, but it reached new levels yesterday.  But let me start at the start...

Saturdays are days filled with fun in our house, so it started out like any other normal Saturday, had breakfast, off to the chemist to get Gerhard some (more) pills, went to the golf shop and bought Liam his first little set of real golf clubs, Kindermusik, lunch at a tea garden, and then, as Gerhard puts Liam in the car and Liam insists on his new golf clubs (still in the box) being placed next to him on the seat, Gerhard pulls a muscle in his back.  Its so bad that I end up driving home and Gerhard is bent over backwards in the passenger seat.

I then later on pop into Woollies for some groceries for the week, and decide to pop into the chemist again to get poor Gerhard (who just happens to have a golf date today) some voltaren emulgel.  Up to now, you must admit, all noble principles, I am the dutiful wife heavily pregnant, still taking care of my little family, yay me...

Now of course someone needs to apply said voltaren gel to the poor suffering husband's back, and Liam is probably a tad to small, so I do it.  I think of putting on some latex gloves, but my lovely domestic worker fond of not throwing anything away placed an empty box back in the cupboard.

So I apply the gel, even work in a bit of a massage, poor thing.  End of story, husband starts to feel better to such an extent that we go for a walk and Liam plays in the park a bit, see, perfect little nuclear family, right?

On the way back, I suddenly get a serious cramp in my tummy, it immediately gets better when we get home, but still, I cannot resist that ever present urge to do what comes natural, I google.  Goodness gracious me, voltaren is to be avoided in the third trimester as it can delay labour, it can lead to the closing of the ductus (more googling to get to the bottom of this).  Blah blah blah...what have I done?  Gerhard recons this is paranoia in a whole new dimension, he tells me that my hands were probably in touch with the voltaren for two minutes (that is the last massage he will ever get).  I washed my hands three times afterwards, but still, I worry.

Off to bed, and I spend a sleepless night dreaming of poor Luka with her closed ductus not making her appearance any time soon.

Wake up this morning, feeling a bit tired and Luka (obviously tired too) is a bit slow starting her normal morning movements, so in the interests of my unborn child, what do I do?  Well I have a large cup of coffee!

Not long after this, she moves.

My message today, Luka, if you read this one day and you are totally addicted to caffeine, highly strung, wired, chain smoking, on Prozac, its my fault sweety, I needed to see that you were ok constantly.  Love mommy


Just as a side note, I went to my gynea 3 days later and she laughed at me saying that merely having the stuff on your hands for 5 minutes cannot harm the baby, so once again, sorry Luks for all the coffee hun ((()))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing.   I see a kid running aroun