Skip to main content

Welcome to 2012

Goodness, December just passed in a blur and now it is the 3rd of January 2012!  We had an amazing Christmas, we went to my dad and Brenda on the farm, Liam had a ball, the actual Santa Clause (an excellent bit of acting done by my brother Albert) came to deliver toys with a nice garbage bag and a pair of sunglasses. 

I actually sat on Santa's lap, so did Gerhard, I have proof.  You cannot believe that Liam and Natan fell for this hook line and sinker.  Natan of course told Santa that Liam did not finish his food...Liam forgot all about the beer and biscuits laid out for Santa, offered him some chips and dip instead and also did some somersaults to impress Santa.

It was good seeing my dad, Brenda, Natan, Tiaan, Albert & Sophia for Christmas, we laughed a lot, ate too much and chatted about some Christmases before.

Christmas day was spent with Gerhard's folks and all my mother in law's sisters, their husbands and kids.  Liam and Luka again had a ball and were spoilt rotten by Belinda, who brought them toy laptops all the way from Saudi Arabia.   We again ate too much, laughed a lot, all in all a most enjoyable way to spend a day!

Then the last night of the year, time for quiet reflection with some friends.  We have been spending the past 14 new years on and off with Stephan and Michelle, we laughed about the past, there were also four years out of the 14 where either me or Michelle was pregnant. 

Spes and Barbara were there, we had amazing food, good wine, good whiskey and good company.  Michelle cried as Abba's Happy New Year played (you can count on the sun rising in the east and Michelle crying at 12 on new year). 

I have been sorting out all our old pictures and I realised something, we have had amazing times with friends, we have had amazing vacations with friends, alone, with kids, without kids, so I am looking forward to Sydney and 2012, new friends, new vacation destinations, old friends and staying in touch.

Happy new year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids