Skip to main content

Lemons

Liam went to yet another new school yesterday, and he adapted beautifully, he really is such an easy child.  When we first moved to Sydney he kept on asking us where all the Afrikaans people were, and he insisted on speaking Afrikaans only, because we are Afrikaans, so I was a bit terrified of taking Liam to the Gumnut Kindy yesterday. 

Well, I was mistaken, he fit right in and was a tad disappointed when I picked him up at the end of the day.  The teacher told me that they sang some songs from the Wiggles, we obviously have no idea, and Liam then proceeded to teach them all songs about South Africa. 

He really is such a lovely child, he makes friends easily and just takes life in his stride.  I am so proud of him.  He also sadly invited all twenty five kids in the class to his birthday party in June, so there goes the idea of something small and intimate.  Kid knows how to make friends.  

Luka and I had an enjoyable morning too, with Liam occupied and Gerhard still sick in bed, we went shopping and after that spent the morning baking some rusks.  This little girl really has gone from a little screamer to a dreamer in no time at all, she is a loving girl who likes nothing better than spending time with her little family, she laughs often and is just cute as a button with her one tooth. 

I also managed to go fir a run yesterday and enjoyed the time alone to clear my head, amazing the thoughts and ideas running through your head following something like packing up and moving halfway across the world.  

Today is a wet and rainy day, no idea what it has in store for us yet, all I know is that this time of having nothing to do will not last and before we know it we are all stressed out and working again, so I decided as life gave me some lemons, I am eating the friggen lemons and enjoying motherhood for as long as it lasts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...