Skip to main content

What I have learnt in the last month

In the last month in Sydney, I managed to learn a number of life lessons, some silly, some really valuable, I will try and share these with you today. 

The more things change, the more things stays the same is very true and can be applied to almost any situation, so the traditional gender roles will apply regardless of the continent you find yourself on.  I will still be responsible for laundry, my husband with numerous degrees cannot operate a washing machine, tumble drier or iron.  We live with the creases and kids can wear a pair of pajamas at least three times before it needs a wash.  

Anything that involves labour should be appreciated, you can buy a dress on sale in Australia for $5, and a cappuccino will set you back $4,50. Common sense tells you this is not possible, yet it is, you see the minute someone in Australia makes your cuppa, at a minimum wage of something totally ridiculous  like $40 000 per annum you pay, clothes are made in Chinese sweat shops, so its cheap. 

Woolworths in South Africa is the bestest place on earth, they chop, peel, dice and cook for you. Woolworths in Australia is just another retail store. 

Filling up a car with petrol is an unthankful job, South Africans must tip petrol station attendants more, heck, give them minimum wage if you must, in Australian dollars.  It is smelly and confusing and not as easy as it looks. 

Cleaning the house is only fun for the first ten times that you do it, after that, lets just say your standards are dropped ever so slightly.  Cobwebs, where? No Liam, there should be a ring around the bath so we can see where the water must go...just dry the plate a bit better Gerhard, its not that dirty.  

Public transport is amazing and possible.  Gautrain must be embraced, busses and all.  However, if you do drive, embrace the gigantic parking spots in Gauteng where you can fit a bus. 

The correct spelling of busses and forrest is in fact buses and forests.  Sorry Australians, I had to google this. 

Home really is where the heart is and I simply cannot live anywhere else than amongst friends and family in South Africa.  I miss Sekai too much, I miss Liam's school, date nights, fancy restaurants, going to work and gym everyday without my kids, affordable childcare, affordable houses with more than one bathroom for a family of four. 

Yes, we are leaving Sydney tomorrow, back in SA on Sunday.  We live on the edge and we fly by the seats of our pants...who knows, we might try Kazakstan next, there is nothing boring about us...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids