Skip to main content

Oh for the love of shoes

Yes, I have to fess up to yet another addiction today and it’s not pretty.  My dear husband often points out that we could probably have been pensioners with the amount of shoes in my cupboard and the thing is I get it, I really do, but who wants to be a pensioner and wear sensible shoes anyway.

There is nothing like the perfect pair+ of shoes, I remember the acquisition of every single pair that I own. I can remember how I felt when I bought them, I spend my nights thinking of shoes and what to pair with them.  It is crazy, this addiction and affliction of mine.  One thing most have in common, they are high heels, I am only 1.63 meters tall (Gerhard often had to correct me when I told people I am 1.83 meters tall).  And when I do not show up in heels, people at work tend to think that I am ill, and short.  Strangers always comment on how short my kids are and I smile, you see my heels have become such a part of me that people generally no longer see the heels.
I buy cheap shoes, flip flops at the Chinese Mall, expensive shoes in Sandton, uncomfortable shoes absolutely anywhere.  Gumboots at the local farmers co-operative, leather boots at the annual agricultural show that I attend for work, shoes make my world go round. 
 
My collection includes boots, gumboots, sandals, pumps, stilettos, flip flops, tackies, golf shoes, dancing shoes, I think I cover most basis.  The one shoe that I am not all that fond of though is a platform, platforms are cheat shoes, neither flat nor heeled, a bit of a sad thing really. I have pink shoes and blue shoes, red shoes and silver sandals.

My absolute style guru when it comes to shoes must be French born Christian Louboutin whose footwear has incorporated shiny, red-lacquered soles that have become his signature.  Please don’t die, please don’t go on early pension and start making slippers for old people at the retirement home.  Please keep the dream alive and the heels red. 
Other people have linen cupboards, I have a shoe cupboard, and I just love all of them equally.  So today, raise your glass with me, and drink to Christian Louboutin who said that he would hate for someone to look at his shoes and say they looked comfortable.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...