Skip to main content

Sick kids...oh the joy

There is nothing quite as glamorous as being woken by your five year old telling you that he vomited in his bed, twice, on one night.  After cleaning up the mess twice, and basically not sleeping, you can imagine this mother's absolute frustration when Luka's school then phones and tells me that she is coughing, to such an extent that you need to come and get her, immediately. 

As mothers we always need to be on call, we need to answer our phones all the time, we need to wake up in the middle of the night, immediately and clean up vomit.  We need to keep track of the entire family's social schedules, just in case.  

As a mother you are on call twenty four seven, three sixty five, you cannot lose patience, you cannot stop answering your phone, you cannot disappear and go to the spa for a week, you cannot spend the day on the golf course with no phone. 

So tonight I am putting on my pajamas extra early, and I am running for the bed at eight with the kids, we will be eating scrambled eggs and toast for supper, we will not watch tv, we will not read books or get distracted by any activities that could possibly interfere with my sleep...

They say that as you get older you sleep less.  I used to think that it was some weird aging thing, rest assured people, its not, it is kids that keep us up,today  because if vomit, tomorrow because of unsuitable friends and significant or insignificant others and in the end, we just stay awake all the time. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...