Skip to main content

I call it the Fitbit effect


I have previously written about my love of gadgets.  I am a proud wearer of a Fitbit and nothing makes me happier than having the device vibrate on my wrist telling me that I nailed my step goal of 10 000 steps for the day. 

This was of course exasperated even further when my medical aid started giving me free smoothies for achieving weekly fitness goals.  I tell you the things that I would do for a free smoothie…

So, if you ever see me and Gerhard frantically walking our dogs, not waiving, not smiling, with a Flash Gordon left arm going up and down up and down at the speed of light, you know that we are still behind on the steps.  If you see us going up and down our own staircase with the Flash arm going up and down up and down, you know we need the steps.  If you come for coffee and we stand walking on the spot whilst you are sipping on your latte, you know that we are still a tad short on the steps.  If you see me in my (heaven forbid) flat pumps walking the streets of Sandton, doing about 3 765 steps to the Vida Café and back for my free latte, you know that I need the steps.  When you see me in the gym and my left arm bulges with a huge Flash Gordon muscle, you know that this is as a result of the Fitbit effect. 

We open our eyes in the morning and we immediately reach for the Fitbits and Samsung gears, we don’t want to miss a single step, even if it’s the one step to the bathroom to locate our missing slippers.  When you see me crying at the Zumba class where one can easily get 5 798 steps in 60 minutes, you must understand that my Fitbit’s battery is flat, and that I will now do all of these steps for nothing.  That I came out all the way to the gym in the cold for a workout that will not be recorded, measured or contribute to a free smoothie.  That this week I will have to pay for my flujuice at Kauai, a total rip off at R30…

Well let me know sit here and write without at least moving my wrist.  I am still short about 3 876 steps for the day.  Smoothies don’t pay for themselves you know. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...