Skip to main content

I hate all of you stay at home moms in winter


This morning was my turn to drop Luka at school.  Liam, the self-sufficient one is still on his bicycle happily cycling to school at the crack of dawn wearing his school bomber jacket that he will hopefully grow into before going to Grade 5.  I was a little upset the day that I bought said bomber jacket, I was a tad tired and stressed about the amount of money that I spent at the little shop of horrors, also known as the Uniform Shop.  So stressed that I got a bit carried away when trying to show the shop assistant how tall Liam was and we now have a bomber jacket for a seven year old that would fit me. 

The Uniform Shop.  They make it sound so innocent, but once you walk through those glass doors your credit card starts quivering and sweat gathers on your brow, because for the price of a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes you can get one bomber jacket and a single pair of grey socks.

The first time I entered the shop of horrors, I almost feinted when presented with the total amount due.  To pay more for a blazer for a six year old boy than you do for a blazer that mommy can wear to work (bear in mind I work in a bank and it’s not like I can come to work wearing a bomber jacket) is ludicrous right.  I immediately started bitching and moaning with my fellow mothers of Midstream and they all felt the same, but what could we do.  Our kids were all entering primary school and to not send them in uniform would be frowned upon.  And you need to buy a couple of pairs of pants, socks, shirts, a jersey!  Gym kit, swimming trunks, Liam officially owns more expensive clothes than me. 

Over time I got used to the gruesome prices that the shop of horrors charge and I was so well prepared mentally that when I went in one day to get a gym bag and was presented with some change for R500, I was so confused that I promptly spent the change on some grey socks.  Almost like when we were little and went to buy milk and bread from the Portuguese Café owner in Middelburg and our mom said that we could have ‘chappies’ for the change. 

So back to this morning, wearing my nice high heels and a blazer fit for wearing in a bank (I did try on the bomber jacket but sadly maroon is not my colour), still a tad on the wrong side of freezing and I see them.  I see them everywhere, the stay at home moms.  I also immediately notice that they are mostly all en-route to the gym, in proper winter gym kit, long thermal type pants, lovely socks and trainers, some even wore beanies!  Oh to be a stay at home mom, to be cozy and comfy in your nice soft clothes, to be able to go to gym at a decent hour, not at 8pm or 5am.  To see the sun, to get proper wear out of your Prada eyewear, my sunglasses just end up gathering dust in winter.  To be able to stay in bed just 5 minutes longer, because you don’t need your hair straightened to go to the gym and you don’t need make up either.  I see you with your dewy fresh faced good looks, I need to slap on the concealer to avoid staying blue all day.  I am 100% convinced that I would be able to drop Luka off at school in my pyjamas, with a big scarf , a nice jacket and a killer pair of sunglasses nobody would even know.

Oh, to be a stay at home mom, but wait, how would I ever afford to keep Liam in school uniform if I don’t have a job?  I would have to give up my own shoe fetish, I would have to buy only a couple of pairs of boots to last me through the entire two month South African winter.  Never, I would rather be cold, blue and miserable then…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing.   I see a kid running aroun