Skip to main content

Happy birthday me

So today is my 34th birthday.  Not too bad.  I can live with the fact that I am nearing the wrong side of 30.  Get coffee in bed, I can get used to this.  Liam helps me open my gifts, not super nice, but hey, I can deal with it.  Once he realises that the gifts are not cars, he loses interest.  Then, bang out of nowhere, Liam asks "How old are you mommy".  I reply giving my age. 

"Is it more than three?"

"Well yes my boy, its more than three."

"Can I count to thirty three mommy?" 

"Not yet Liam, but mommy will teach you."

"You are VERY old mommy, if its more than three."

Yes Liam, I know, its way more than three ok, stop it now or I will have to lie and start telling you that I am five. 

Thirty four and pregnant, who would have thought.  The girls in Sex and the City would have done something magical.  Me, my boys are taking me and my sister and her fiancee out to dinner at the Portuguese place down the road, it's all I have energy for, because at 32 weeks pregnant, congestion struck last night in all its glory.  And as any pregnant woman will tell you, there is no cure for pregnancy congestion.  So in my typical paranoid state, I put some vicks vaporub underneath my nose, and then immediately regretted it, and turned to that old friend, google...


Of course google said that this was a bad idea, so back to the bathroom and all vicks comes off...and then I spent a nightmare filled evening, dreaming of poor Luka being misformed, safe to say, I was up from 2 because of these horrid dreams and the fact that I literally could not breathe through my nose. 


Luka, its a tad early, but it would be perfectly alright for you to come and surprise us at around 37 weeks, mommy would really really appreciate the discount and hey, Liam can only count to 20, so 37 weeks is way too long in his books in any event. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...