Skip to main content

Man Flu, need I say more...

Liam and I were both a tad under the weather last week, we suffered from the common cold. . . Gerhard has the same thing today, only he is really sick, had to go to the doctor for some antibiotics and in his case he suffers from severe upper respiratory track infection.  All in all, he has man flu.  Need I say more? 

So as you know, my domestic worker Sekai is in Zimbabwe for three weeks, she has been gone for an entire week.  I am cooking, cleaning the house, picking up toys, doing the washing, ironing, packing and unpacking the dishwasher, because men seem to think that these things happen by themselves.  They don't if there are any men reading this.

So last week when I was feeling a bit sick, I still did all these things, in actual fact, I felt so bad after spending a night away from my boys that I actually went out to supper with them on Friday night, despite feeling as if my head would explode.  Add to this the fact that I am pregnant and can at best take a panado for any ailment, but hey, I am a female, we tend to generally get on with life.  So as with all common colds, it passed.  Not once did anyone feel sorry for me, do the laundry or pack the dishwasher (cups and saucers are happily stacked ON TOP) of the dishwasher. 

Yesterday evening when arriving home after a luxurious day spent at the spa, I hear that Gerhard is dying.  He promptly got onto the couch and lay there watching Summit TV, Liam told him that its a crappy movie, Gerhard did not even hear him!  He promptly lay there and watched an entire hour of the worst TV in South Africa.  

Now I must point out that I cannot deal with man flu at the best of times, but pregnant and no domestic worker, this is not funny.  Get over yourself boys, its a friggen cold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...