Skip to main content

On Men and Cleaning (or lack of the ability)

Well as I said in a previous post, Gerhard has been struck down by some man flu.  I actually feel a tad guilty as he really appears sick, although with the male species you can never truly tell...anyhow, so last night I get home once again and the poor man could not even bother to switch on the dishwasher, now at this juncture I have to point out that I am actually the one packing the dishwasher.  In Gerhard's eyes, the dishes merely have to be brought to the vicinity of the dishwasher, say a 5 meter radius.  The dishes will then actually climb into the dishwasher all by themselves.  Had I not known this man almost all my life I would have sworn that he was reading some Terry Pratchett on the sly. 

Washing, ironing, all foreign concepts to him.  Picking up shoes after wearing these, shoes are made for walking, so of course when we go to bed at night, the shoes just walk themselves up the stairs.  Cooking, happens all by its lonesome self.  The toys scattered all around the house starts playing with each other like in Toy Story and then Woody shouts places everyone and the toys all go to bed. 

Now I know Gerhard's parents, their house is always tidy, their shoes kept in cupboards, where does this man come from?  Seriously, why is it that both of us spend all day working, we then come home and on top of my rather demanding full time job, restoring order to house and home is my problem, feeding us all, shopping, getting cat litter and carting our two year old around.  All mom's duties?  Women have been burning bras' (though obviously nothing too expensive like la perla) so that I don't have to cook.  How do people without domestic workers cope.  Why do they not kill their husbands? 

What has love gotta do with it?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...