Skip to main content

Barbie...the doll, not the Australian version of a braai

A very long time ago, I said silly things like 'no daughter of mine will ever wear pink'. I saw other mommies smiling at me and thought that I will show them, well, we all know how that turned out for me.  Luka has only pink things, the only exceptions being purple and a pair of blue jeans...

Next crazy statement, 'barbie is such a bad role-model for a girl, I would rather die than have my daughter play with one', Well guess what...Luka is ten months old and she got her first barbie look alike doll today at K-Mart.  She chose it herself and the two of them are inseparable.   How did this happen, how am I managing to raise such a typical girl?  She is supposed to be gender neutral and pro-choice and a hundred other things. 

You see, I think despite Freud, Erika Jong and all the rest of it, women are genetically pre-disposed to love pretty things, and barbie and pink just are too pretty to resist.  Luka is a real girl, she loves playing with dolls and I love dressing her in pretty pink things, so both of us are guilty on that count.  

Luka is about to take a nap,so I really have to go, I need to see that fake barbie is ok, and that her ballet slippers are on the right way ok ;)

Here in Sydney, the poor thing is probably called 'baaaaaaabie' though, as in bbq, without any r's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing.   I see a kid running aroun