Skip to main content

Barbie...the doll, not the Australian version of a braai

A very long time ago, I said silly things like 'no daughter of mine will ever wear pink'. I saw other mommies smiling at me and thought that I will show them, well, we all know how that turned out for me.  Luka has only pink things, the only exceptions being purple and a pair of blue jeans...

Next crazy statement, 'barbie is such a bad role-model for a girl, I would rather die than have my daughter play with one', Well guess what...Luka is ten months old and she got her first barbie look alike doll today at K-Mart.  She chose it herself and the two of them are inseparable.   How did this happen, how am I managing to raise such a typical girl?  She is supposed to be gender neutral and pro-choice and a hundred other things. 

You see, I think despite Freud, Erika Jong and all the rest of it, women are genetically pre-disposed to love pretty things, and barbie and pink just are too pretty to resist.  Luka is a real girl, she loves playing with dolls and I love dressing her in pretty pink things, so both of us are guilty on that count.  

Luka is about to take a nap,so I really have to go, I need to see that fake barbie is ok, and that her ballet slippers are on the right way ok ;)

Here in Sydney, the poor thing is probably called 'baaaaaaabie' though, as in bbq, without any r's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...