Skip to main content

13 Days and Counting

I honestly never thought that I would be this ok with the idea of having a c-section...I hate the idea of having an operation but I am strangely at peace with my doctors advice that should Luka not turn, we will do a c-section.  Either on the 13th or the 20th of April. 


Gerhard and I had a major blow out about this earlier in the week as he still firmly (and naively according to me) believes that she will turn and will be a normal delivery.  I somehow doubt this.  He thinks I am giving in to c-section mania too easily and I know that come 12 April 2011, Gerhard and I will have a major argument, I will say c-section on the 13th and he will say give her another week...because you know that most second babies (96% in fact) will only turn into the head down position within hours of being born, naturally, vaginally, my vagina on the line here...


We also had a major argument as he had to go out with some work people last night and I was left home alone with Liam.  I tried to put in into perspective over the phone this morning, but I was crying so much after he accused me of being depressed and needing some anti-depressants that I am not 100% convinced that he got my message.  So just to clarify: 


The closer we get to 40 weeks (almost 37 weeks now), the more I recall Liam's rather traumatic birth.  I cannot help but feel that I must opt for a c-section as that is safer...I do not want another kid in NICU, I do not want the sole responsibility of Luka's wellbeing...I want to share the parenting burden and I want her out, I want to see with my own eyes that she is perfect and I want Gerhard to be co-responsible for her.  I seriously will not last another 3 weeks, at best I can manage another 1.  The fact that my gynea mentioned that Luka's hips will have to be sonar-ed for abnormalities because she has been in breech this long did not make matters worse at all...


I still come to work everyday, not because I am such a super trooper, but because I need to be busy, surrounded by people making a big fuss about me.  This achieves two things, it keeps my mind occupied, and gives me about three or four hours of peace, not worrying if Luks is ok, normal, alive and also keeps me away from google.  Secondly, people are genuinely concerned about me here, they make me tea and are excited about Luka's arrival with me. 


Last night, home, alone almost killed me.  I had to feed, bath and cuddle little Liam, all in all whilst trying to not think of the fact that if Luka arrives now, I would have to call Sekai in to look after Liam, drive to the hospital at the speed of light as Luka is still head up and google clearly indicated the dangers of suffocation and brain damage should a breech baby be delivered the natural way.  All of this whilst keeping the fact that my gynea that I trust will be on leave from the 2nd of April to the 9th of April, so this would really not be a good time.  All of this while Gerhard is having dinner with work people.  Nice. 


Now you try and explain to your husband that you are not suffering from depression, but that this is probably normal irrational and overtly emotional behavior for someone nearing the 37th week of pregnancy.  That people who had previous traumatic birth experiences all tend to freak out at some point during subsequent pregnancies.  That although I know its not intentional, I still hate the fact that he can 'abandon' me and my unborn breech baby for even an evening.  That yes, it might be unreasonable, but I want to know what time (yes, hour, minute and second) he will be home.  


That I am demanding, that I am emotional, that I would probably be better off being severely sedated for the next 3 weeks.  That its normal. 


Now you tell your husband all of this, without once being allowed to tell him "because I am pregnant, that is why..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids