Skip to main content

Little Luka arrived safely and without any drama

Well, as I am sitting here typing this, Luka is fast asleep in her camp cot in my room.  She is a whole week old and I simply cannot believe it.  My pink princess arrived safely and without even a hint of drama and she is 100% perfect.  We are all madly in love with her and we sit and look at her pretty face for hours and hours.

So let me start at the beginning. 

On Tuesday 12 April 2011, I went for a scan.  Luka was healthy, but the placenta was starting to show signs of calcification and the amniotic fluid levels were low, so we decided to opt for an elective c-section the following day.  Luka was also still in the breech position and chances of turning were getting slimmer by the day.

We left all excited, I went to the office and wrapped up last minute things, then straight home for some sleep.  I picked Liam up from school a bit earlier, was the kids last day as an only child.

Made some last minute wardrobe changes to Luka's hospital bags and then spent a sleepless night tossing and turning in bed.  The last time we went to hospital to have a baby it nearly ended in a disaster, so what would this time bring.

To try and get into a private room, we went to hospital on the morning of the 13th of April at 6, just to be told that there were none, but we were now second in line on the waiting list.  Back home, tried to read, had some toast for breakfast.  Back to hospital at 10.  When we got there, there was a mad rush to get all the things done that needed to be done, catheter inserted, drip in, pre-checks and what not done, and then I also got dressed in that lovely garment, the green hospital gown.  And then lay in my bed in the general ward from 11.  We were told that I would have gone into theater at 1, but then there were two emergency c-sections, so I was eventually wheeled away at 2:30!

Gerhard put on some scrubs, such a pity that I forgot to take a picture of him!  He looked so cute.  At 3 into theater, spinal done, no worries, peace and quiet all around, Gerhard sitting at my head, holding his contributions, a pink bunny ear cap and a tiny diaper!  And at 15h05 Luka was born, she cried immediately and her apgar score was 9/10.  Gerhard asked the paediatrician why not 10/10 and she said they never give 10/10.  Gerhard joked that she needed to come out able to read and write to score 10/10!

She was perfect!  We were both in love from the very first second of laying eyes on her.  Gerhard beamed, ever the proud daddy.  Gerhard brought me this perfect pink bundle and I could not believe how gorgeous she was. 

Whilst I was being super glued together, Gerhard and Luka went off to the nursery to heat her up a bit, 10 minutes later I was in the recovery room, a bit cold but fine.  When I got to my room, Gerhard and Luka arrived, she latched like a champ and has been doing so ever since.

Then Liam arrived at 19h00 to meet his sister, I think he was probably even more in love!  He walked in and demanded that we give him 'his baby'.  He insisted on holding her and when she cried he said "toemaar Luks, ek is hier" (don't worry Luks, I am here). 

This has been such an amazing experience, so peaceful and calm, I am so relieved that all went off well and that this baby is fine, I would not have survived another NICU baby.

So, Luka van Rooyen was welcomed into this world at 15h05 on the 13th of April weighing in at 2.9 kilograms, all 49 cms of her.  Welcome princess, we waited very long for you!

Well, let me and Luka go and cuddle a bit, before she grows up and leaves for varsity already...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids