Skip to main content

A little bit of drama

So I just have to tell you about Sunday, Sunday was absolute and utter chaos in the van Wyk van Rooyen household...

After Luka's first night home, we were rather shattered, pajama drill is not for the feint hearted, and surprise surprise, we have grannies and grandads all visiting the pink princess on this day, happiness all around, until around 3am on Sunday morning, Liam stands next to our bed, he has a raging fever and the worst illness in the world, jip, you guessed it, diarrhea!

I am absolutely petrified that this bug will spread, and poor Liam now washes his hands on the hour, he may not kiss his new sister (terrible and heartbreaking, I know) and so a long day begins.

Gerhard takes Liam to the doc at 13h00, some meds, but Liam seems over the worst.

Then at around 16h00, Gerhard runs to Woollies for some groceries, and I wait for a good friend to come and meet Luka, Luka is also feeding whilst we watch Shrek 2 for the umpteenth time in the space of six hours.

Now, if you are squeamish, stop reading now, seriously, stop, go and watch TV instead.

Liam decides its time for a wee wee, goes to the toilet, gets on his little step, makes a wee, and has serious diarrhea at the same time, I felt like crying - my whole bathroom was literally covered in shit! 

Welcome to the world of being a mom of two...what followed involved Luka lying next to Calvin the cat on the spare bed, me sticking Liam in the bath tub, cleaning up this horrid mess, trying to answer the phone signalling the arrival of said friend.  Funny now, but at that stage, ai, I wanted to die.

Then at around 19h00 Liam is in the bath, and guess what?  Yes, Luka now has diarrhea too, 4 days old and sick!  At around 21h00 she starts screaming and refuses to feed, so we call Sekai to look after Liam, who now has a raging fever (again) and we rush off to the emergency rooms at Unitas.  They check her out and confirm that yes, she has a stomach bug, severe cramps, but she is ok, as long as she stays hydrated.  So a couple of hundred rand and some medicine later we go back home, thank heavens, I just got discharged from hospital a day before.

Now I know that you can give a four day old infant 1 ml of buscopan, and 1 drop of panado for infants.  And reuteri, reuteri, reuteri.  It just drives Gerhard insane that this specific strain of pro-biotic was cultivated from the breast milk of a Peruvian woman.  Some trivia to brighten up your day.

All in all, everyone is fine now, I had two kids at home on Monday, thank heavens Liam was good as gold, we even managed to nap, all three of us.

Liam is back at school, Luka is 100%, so all in all, despite shitty start, we are all ok. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids