Skip to main content

Baby, the most abused word in the Afrikaans language

I told my husband this morning that "baby" must be the most abused and misused word in the Afrikaans language.  There is not an Afrikaans song that does not contain the word in either the title or lyrics.

Let me give some examples, starting with the particularly bad and ending with some more benign song titles:
  1. In first place, must be that horrible song called "Sweet Dreams Baby" - This song also has extremely deep lyrics, "Sweet dreams baby, lekker doeks" - why is the only question I have...
  2. In second place, a song that goes something along the line of "baby baby baby ek sal jou nooit" and then I don't know the rest by a guy named Nicholis Louw, deep, really deep
  3. in third place, has to be that classic "Baby tjoklits" by Gerhard Steyn, just listen to these deep lyrics, "Baby ek laaik jou soos jy is, my hart klop tjoklits as jy naby is, baby, baby tjoklits"
Now, I can carry on with this for at least 20 more pages, my point is that I have a two year old boy who is susceptible to all sorts of bad influences at this stage.  It took one listen to Baby Tjoklits whilst driving in the car and he knows the (deep) lyrics off by heart.  I must just at this stage point out that I also play things like Coldplay, U2 and the like, yet he never remembers a single lyric despite numerous repetition...

Once the common song is in his mind, its imprinted there forever, we have to buy a cd or download a mp3.  We listen to these songs over and over and over again, its torture.  He asks for these songs by name.  He throws tantrums of monumental proportions when his wishes are not adhered to.  Torture I tell you.

I hate these people who come up with a toe tapping beat and tune, add simple yet highly effective lyrics containing the word baby, hate them.  There is one exception to this rule though, a guy named Jay and a girl named Lianie May has a song called "Toe stop my hart".  I quote "Toe stop my hart, toe stop my hart by jou, en ek het jou kom red my baby, jy is als wat ek het my baby..." and this is my favourite song, tell someone and I will kill you.  I even got the CD for Christmas.  And that is all that I will say about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...