Skip to main content

Mastering the art of french cooking

So call me a Philistine, I only managed to watch Julie Julia over the weekend.  Now I might have missed quite a bit of this movie as Gerhard and Liam were chasing each other through the living room, yes the same living room that the TV is in, one on a push bike and the other screaming like a banshee (no of course Gerhard is too big for the push bike).  

The thing is that the part of the movie that I did manage to hear (I could see fine, I just battled hearing) was most excellent.  So inspiring, who in their right minds would attempt five hundred odd french recipes including the likes of Homard a l' Americaine (a lobster dish involving real live lobsters)?  And then have the time for a full time job and a husband.  Well Julie Powell of course. 

I was so inspired that I immediately started googling Julie / Julia Child and imagine my shock and horror when I saw that Julie started an affair whilst writing her second book. Why is is that things that we have no control over or did not know until a day or two before can still shock us to the core.  Here was I reading some inspiring blog by a woman called Julia Julie / Julia Project

This woman sounded like an idol, full time job, check, lovely supporting husband, check, living her dream of writing, check, fantabulous cook, check and then she goes and blows it all by having an affair.  This sort of spoiled the end of the movie for me. 

I always google things I like / love / enjoy.  Whilst reading Shantaram, I made the grave mistake of googling  Gregory David Roberts - I should not have done this.  I had a very different picture of this man in my head somehow, and now, well now its all spoiled.  Gregory David Roberts looks nothing at all like what I imagined.  Googling the Twilight series was a great idea though, Edward in the movies is much better looking that the Edward I pictured all along...
 
But Julie, I decided to look past all of this and I ordered your books online this morning, I will just not google as much whilst reading this, so this way, we can pretend that little affair never happened.  You are an inspiration - I love your blog and I loved the movie.  So tonight in honour of me finding a great read and a great movie (a rare find these days) I will be making a Beef Bourguinon, just me in the kitchen, the boys will probably be riding their scooters again, just us servantles African cooks*. 


*Just for the record, I would like to point out that I do have a servant called Sekai, an excellent cook, however she would never even consider beef and bacon in the same dish, she knows all about cholesterol.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...