Skip to main content

Rain rain, when will it stop

OK, so it has been raining in Gauteng for approximately 8 weeks, two days and three hours, non stop.  No, correction, it does stop about once a week, just long enough to allow the mozzies to hatch from their larvae and come and bite poor Liam to pieces.  He came into our bedroom at around midnight last week complaining about the 'vliegs" (flies) in his room, so we marched the poor kid back to bed.  The next morning when we assessed the damage we realised it was not 'vliegs' but "muskiets" big hairy fellows in it for the blood!

The washing will not dry, the house smells really miff, the dirt road that Liam and I take to work is more hole than road, thank heavens for big bakkies!  I literally no longer know how to keep Liam entertained over weekends, it is absolutely crazy. 

Now here comes the scary part, working for a company with interests in agriculture, all I hear all day at work is how the soya is rotting on the lands, the mielies are yellow, there will be water damage, we just need to assess how bad it is. 

So its wet at home, talk of rain at work, Liam playing indoors over weekends.  Enough already. 

There is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel though, Liam looks adorable in his camo wellingtons, that he now insists on wearing to school everyday, with his pajama top and his umbrella...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...