Skip to main content

I am so sleep deprived I do not even know where to begin today

It is a reality, had Luka been the first born, she might have been an only child.  The Lord works in mysterious ways. . .

Look, she is very cute and we really do love her a lot, its just that we hardly ever sleep anymore.  Take last night as an example.  We got into bed at 20h00, she had her last feed at 19h00.  So we were up at 22h00, 24h00, 02h00, 04h00, 06h00...need I say more?  And it is not as if the day was any easier, far from it.  She got over tired yesterday and literally did not sleep at all from noon till around 16h00 when I finally had enough of the screaming and gave her Bennets colic mixture.  Good grief, who knew that one very tiny little girl can be so full of shit?

The night before last, no different, up every two hours.  Gerhard figured it all out last night, no this morning at 04h00, if you bend her legs, she farts, so he was bending legs to make her get rid of all that unwanted gas, trust a man...

Seriously, I know that the first six weeks are the worst, but we are almost at 5 weeks already and things over here are deteriorating fast.  Seriously fast, we went from fairly bad and interrupted sleep to zero sleep.  Gerhard and I are about to kill each other, I want to medicate, heck, give her some Johnny Walker if need be, he wants to explore alternative opportunities, such as bending legs to generate farts...men!

Add to this the fact that Liam refuses to sleep with a nappy, but does not wake up when he needs to wee, so we end up changing Liam and his bedding twice every night.  All of this does not make for a happy little family, and then someone I know tells me she desperately wants a fourth child...let me clearly state that there will only EVER be the two kids in this household, I would not be held accountable for my actions if there were ever a third, heaven forbid a fourth.  I would need about 3 more Sekai's as it is now, just to get through the day, so if there were three kids, well, I would probably need about 5 full time domestic workers. 

I also realised last week that I would be an appallingly bad stay at home mommy.  I tried, I had play dates, I went shopping, I invited a sahm friend over for breakfast, seriously, I do not get it, I think women who are able to do this deserve medals, it is not for sissy's or the feint hearted.

Today's post is a serious ramble, see what happens when I do not sleep.  As an aside, Luka had serious nappy rash due to the amount of nappies she has in a day, anyhow, if ONE MORE person tells me to put on some maizena I will just freak out, according to every doctor on the planet that is the worst thing you can do as you now create a breeding ground for germs, so seriously, stop it.  And lastly, my husband that I love dearly, thinks that Luka is a little monster in the evenings, but obviously recons that as soon as he leaves the house, she turns into an angel, sleeping the whole day (NOT), so he keeps asking me if I sleep during the day.  As you know, all baby books / magazines / parents suggest that the mommy sleeps when baby sleeps.  Well here is a newsflash, she does not sleep at decent nap times, she sleeps at 08h00, at 15h00 and not much in between, so if I hear this piece of wisdom one more time...

Well, seems as if my little monster is sleeping, so let me follow suit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman