Skip to main content

Thank Heavens life can go back to normal

South Africa has more public holidays than the average democracy...we just came through Easter, a tyring time for any mother, thank heavens Liam's school does not actually close down during this period.

The average South African needed to take three days worth of leave to spend a whopping thirteen consecutive days at home.  Thirteen.  Liam was confused.  He asked every morning if he would go to school today.  If I said 'no', he was sad, he misses his friends.  If the answer was 'yes' he was sad as he wants to stay home with me and Luks.  Not pretty.

I find that it is also a lot harder trying to balance Luka with Gerhard and Liam at home.  With Liam there is a two hour sleep possibility window, and Liam and Luka are not yet in sync.

It was also Gerhard's 34th birthday on Saturday, he got to spend it at a 1 year old's birthday party, how life has changed...anyhow, Liam got Gerhard some pink sweets from Woollies and a heart shaped candy.  We did the shopping on Friday.  So when Gerhard arrived home, Liam promptly informed him that he got him some pink sweets from Woollies and a heart shaped candy.  He also hid the bag in his room, and on Saturday morning, I watched Liam wake up, get out of bed, grab the birthday bag and come and sing happy birthday to his dad, absolutely adorable.

On Sunday my brother Albert and his wife, Sophia came to visit, was really lovely as we do not see the two of them often.  They stay in Middelburg.  Safe to say, they will wait a bit before having little kids, Liam and Luka together is quite the contraceptive at this stage of the game.

So on Tuesday morning whilst the rest of the country was in mourning as April only comes around once a year, I was rather happy to see the end of all the madness.  Wonder if I would have felt differently if I too had to brave the cold to go to the office. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

On the eve of my first protest

It is the eve of my first ever protest about anything really.  I am a little scared, a little excited, a little apprehensive but extremely motivated.  For those not following South African politics, our President last week fired our honest Minister of Finance and the South African economy took a tumble and we were downgraded to junk status by ratings agencies. Economic and political uncertainty ensued all because of one man’s greed and corruption.  Junk status has dire implications for our country and as always the people who will be most affected are the poorest of the poor.  Interest rates will rise, so will inflation and food prices, jobs will be lost, the list of horrible things goes on. Ordinary South Africans have now had enough and for the first time ever people from all walks of life are united behind a common cause, to save South Africa.  I have never in my 40 years on this earth been moved by any cause, not enough to actually take...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...