Skip to main content

I get hooked easily

I am taking 5 minutes out of my hectic stay at home mommy schedule to come and tell you about my latest addiction, no, I am not smoking anything just yet, because just as I was about to hit the bottle hard last night and give Luka a shot of Jack Daniels, a friend suggested using some peppermint oil in Luka's bath water.  It has a calming effect on the stomach and guess what, it seemingly worked.  So no alcohol (sadly) for either one of us...

Gerhard was a bit sceptical at first, getting advice from an aromatherapist, mixing essential oils with milk and then adding this to Luka's bath, but hey, it worked.  Luka slept from 19h00 to 12h30 and then again until 03h30, and then it was time to get up, so all in all a very good night.

But I am digressing again.  Being a sahm leaves the biggest part of the day wide open, so I am watching back to back episodes of Brothers and Sisters.  How did I miss this series?  It is brilliant.  The Walker family also makes my own family appear strangely normal, good grief, I am only at the start of season 3 now, and I simply cannot get enough.  I watch an average of 4 episodes per day, no use sleeping if I can watch Kitty and her siblings rival...love it.

Now today I have to interrupt my hours of television watching to go and do something really silly.  See after being married for 5 happy years, the Department of Home Affairs decided to change my surname, I was Niki van Wyk when I got married, when I applied for my own unabridged birth certificate and when I applied for Liam's birth certificate 2 years ago.  So when Luka's birth certificate was finally issued last week, imagine my surprise when I am now Niki van Rooyen.  I knew that there would be an error on her certificate, although Gerhard and I had bets going as to whether or not they would make her Lukas van Rooyen...

Kudos to them, her name and surname is 100% correct, but as a home affairs official explained to me over the phone last week, someone this year looked at my records, saw I was married and did me a favour - they changed my surname for me.

I have lost my identity and my marbles, finally.  At a stage I was even contemplating just becoming a van Rooyen and giving in but Gerhard then pointed out the obvious, I have so much more going as a van Wyk, I have permanent residence in Australia as Niki van Wyk, ID document, passport, bank account, e-mail addresses, payslips, gym membership, frequent flyer miles, the list goes on.  As a van Rooyen I merely have two kids. Difficult decision.

Lucky me, every one I know battles to get surnames changed, not me, I was lucky enough to have the only official at home affairs with some initiative work on my file, I am the (un) luckiest girl in the world...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

On the eve of my first protest

It is the eve of my first ever protest about anything really.  I am a little scared, a little excited, a little apprehensive but extremely motivated.  For those not following South African politics, our President last week fired our honest Minister of Finance and the South African economy took a tumble and we were downgraded to junk status by ratings agencies. Economic and political uncertainty ensued all because of one man’s greed and corruption.  Junk status has dire implications for our country and as always the people who will be most affected are the poorest of the poor.  Interest rates will rise, so will inflation and food prices, jobs will be lost, the list of horrible things goes on. Ordinary South Africans have now had enough and for the first time ever people from all walks of life are united behind a common cause, to save South Africa.  I have never in my 40 years on this earth been moved by any cause, not enough to actually take...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...