Skip to main content

The Difference between men and women


Luka will be 10 weeks old tomorrow.  A real milestone, something to be happy about right well all that this means to Gerhard and me is that we have not slept for 10 full weeks.  Now now, some of you are saying surely you slept a little bit, yes, we did, a little bit, that is all.  For 10 straight weeks, or 70 days we have not slept longer than two hours at a time, some nights we were lucky if we got one hour without our little monster screaming...

Luka seems to be a bit of a sensitive soul.  Liam could self soothe from about 6 weeks, he slept whenever he was tired, wherever we were.  When he was 6 weeks old, we could go out for dinner at restaurants and he would pretty much sleep from start to end.  At 6 weeks, Liam slept through an entire night.  He had a last feed at around 10 and then woke again at 6 in the morning. 

I have read Sleep Sense, Baby Sense, googled, I have given medicine, not given medicine, asked the paediatrician, asked the clinic nurse.  I have tried homeopathic remedies, I have massaged, rubbed, in short probably spent about R3 000 on all sorts of crap and still, Luka does not sleep...

Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,

This is my new mantra if you will.  A talisman to ward off the evil that keeps us awake at night...

You see, Luka seems to have a bit of a sensitive tummy too.  I introduced the poor lamb to formula almost two weeks ago and things were fine, until she got totally stuffed...yes, you read correctly, she became clogged up so badly that we needed to intervene with some prune juice, glycerine suppositories and even a drop or two of olive oil.  She moans, screams, it’s just unbearable.  The advice from all angles states that changing formula now will just start the whole Luka adjusting to formula process all over again, so we must yet again grin and bear it.  My grins are looking like grimaces these days...

So pro-biotic are being administered at an alarming rate, a shot of olive oil is given morning and night, when really necessary, the suppositories are administered...and yet, no sleep. 

I started work yesterday and really enjoyed it, up until the part where I almost fell asleep.  Sadly, nobody believes a single word I say regarding Luka being a monster and us never sleeping.  Gerhard looks haggard, he cannot open his eyes in the morning (I am from the 70 where we believe if mommy is awake, everybody aged 30 and up is awake too).

People at work told me I look surprisingly good for someone who never sleeps, shocking, but true.

Luka will start eating solids @ 4 months, hell knows, if that does not make her sleep better I am selling her to cover costs, my add on Gumtree will probably say:

"For sale, one fairly cute baby with all accessories, hardly used, only one set of previous owners, lungs in perfect working condition, comes with medical aid and Nan"

Now, just as Liam and Luka are very very different kids, I have now come to realise that the only difference between Gerhard and me is the fact that I wear makeup, and sadly, as the 10 weeks have been progressing, the amount of concealer needed has more than trebled.  Maybelline is making an absolute fortune out of me, and by the looks of things, Gerhard will be needing some really soon...

Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam,
Luka will become cute just like Liam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids