Skip to main content

Things I cannot live without

Today you are just getting a list of my things I cannot live without.  If you asked me 4 years ago, the list would have gone a little like this:

1.  Passport
2.  Bikini
3.  Sunscreen
4.  Credit card
5.  Perfume (something heavy like Clinique's Aromatics Elixier)
6.  Boots
7.  Flip flops
8.  Little Black Dress
9.  Cigars
10. A drop dead gorgeous handbag

Gerhard and I lived a pretty adventurous life before Liam and Luka ("BLL").  We travelled (ok, we still do that, but it is different), stayed in nice hotels, slept late, drank amazing bottles of red wine, loads of coffee, heck, we ordered stuff we like in crates.  We shopped a lot, yes, ok, I still shop a lot, but I now shop at Baby City, no more days at the mall buying whatever my heart desires. 

I wore boots, the higher the heels, the better and I could go almost anywhere with a little black dress and a splash of perfume, and I never even contemplated leaving the house unless I had a stunning handbag.  My collection is rather spectacular and wherever we went in the world, I bought a bag.  Other people buy curios (a different topic all together), I buy bags.

We smoked fine cigars whilst drinking the wine referred to above, we went to bed late.  A friend confessed a while back that she never imagined Gerhard and I would have kids, she imagined us living the good life and being godparents to other people's kids. . .

Today, the list is a tad different:

1.  Nappy bag containing a million things
2.  Bottle of water and a peanut snack
3.  Angel Care baby monitor
4.  Fleece babygrows from Woolies (where else)
5.  Nuk baby bottles, dummies and dummy chains
6.  Labels from http://www.kidslabels.co.za/
7.  Schools, baby centres and the like
8.  Wellingtons for littlies
9.  Multipeol
10. Medical aid card

Yes, if Liam is hungry and thirsty, he becomes a monster!  Literally, he starts acting up, kicking and screaming. 

Without the monitor I would never have left Liam or Luka's room, ever.  This thing actually picks up movement and plays a major part in the prevention of SIDS, and you can sit outside having a cup of coffee and you will hear them scream, because believe me, babies do scream (a lot). 

Labels, well these ensure that whatever you send to school (probably expensive NUK bottles and fleece babygrows from Woollies) actually come home again.  If not for these, I would have had to shop way more than I all ready do...

Schools allows me to go to work and be a great mommy.  It also allows me the opportunity to try and earn back a fraction of the money all ready spent shopping for NUK bottles and the like, keeps me sane and allows me some measure of adult conversation. So in all fairness, the credit card should probably still be on list 2 as well. 

Multipeol, now if ever you do have kids, nappy rash will occur, this is the only thing that works, failing that, you will need a medical aid to go to the paediatrician to get a script for Advantan cream or Advantan Fatty Ointment.

Wellies, well, you will wake up on some mornings and there will not be time to dress yourself and the kids in time for work and school.  On mornings like these, kids go to school in their PJ's (looks like a tracksuit ok) and they can put on wellies all by themselves.  I tell myself that looking different probably builds character.  On mornings like these, we also eat the peanut snack and drink the bottled water on the way to school. 

If you are wondering what happened to perfume, well, Liam hates perfume, he starts coughing and wheezing like you will not believe, so I just live without this.

Now, to some people the first list looks like the better one, and do not get me wrong, it had its merits, its time and place, but it is the second list that provides us with way more fun than we ever had. 

Nothing on the first list ever inspired anyone to tell me that I am the bestest Mommy (and the prettiest mind you) in the whole of Midstream (where we live.  The concept of the world is slowly taking place due to limited overseas travel with littlies) for remembering to pack water and peanut snacks.

I must just also at this stage point out that Midstream is yummy mummy capital of South Africa, loads of housewives, think personal trainers, plastic surgery, lots of list one and two combinations.  So this is the bestest compliment in the entire world (I have travelled slightly more than Liam).

Yes, we never sleep (ever) and it seems as if we will never sleep again.  We will probably never sleep past 5 am again, ever.  We spend all our money at Woollies, Baby City and schools, we do not smoke at all, drink limited quantities of wine (from Woollies), drink any coffee we can get for caffeine purposes only, no longer carry nice handbags (nappy bag remember).  When we do travel (local mostly) we stay in self catering places and cook our own food (or eat microwave meals from Woollies) but hey, we have more fun than the kids, and we know that they will not hinder us from seeing the Louvre again.  So whilst I would have loved many god children, I love my life, its perfect (well as close to perfect as it can be).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids