Skip to main content

I love washing the dishes

Now you may think that I am being sarcastic when making bold statements such as the one above, but I am actually dead serious...
I am writing this sitting in the middle of the bush, in the lap of luxury (I do not camp), Gerhard and Liam have gone for a game drive, and I am sitting here watching the sun rising over a dam a mere 50 meters from my window, sipping a cappuccino.  The boys left me and Luka here to catch up on some zzzzz’s, but alas, I am only enjoying my cappuccino now, after I washed all the dishes from last night and cleared up the mess we made in the kitchen.
Now I will simply never admit this to my husband, he needs to remain humble and never ever get the idea that I can somehow live without full time domestic help.  So when we go on vacation, he always makes 100% sure that the accommodation is serviced,  I think he does this more to avoid washing dishes himself, but so it would also appear as if he only takes me to places where I do not have to lift a finger, fair enough. 
It has taken me years to figure out that I am a bit of a control freak, my boss sometimes jokingly refers to my OCD, this is not a joke, its serious...well, I like order, calm and clean, and if nobody around me can do this quick enough, I will just take the lead myself.
I love washing dishes, clothes, vacuuming; all these things offer an immediate result and instant gratification.  The bubbles in the sink, the crispness of a freshly ironed dishcloth...these things all make me very very happy.  Sad, but true.  My desk at work is mostly pristine, I cannot operate in chaos.  Paper makes me feel uncomfortable and cluttered, and I cannot operate with a cluttered mind. 
Now why did nobody ever tell me that kids simply have zero respect for clean, order, calm...?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

On the eve of my first protest

It is the eve of my first ever protest about anything really.  I am a little scared, a little excited, a little apprehensive but extremely motivated.  For those not following South African politics, our President last week fired our honest Minister of Finance and the South African economy took a tumble and we were downgraded to junk status by ratings agencies. Economic and political uncertainty ensued all because of one man’s greed and corruption.  Junk status has dire implications for our country and as always the people who will be most affected are the poorest of the poor.  Interest rates will rise, so will inflation and food prices, jobs will be lost, the list of horrible things goes on. Ordinary South Africans have now had enough and for the first time ever people from all walks of life are united behind a common cause, to save South Africa.  I have never in my 40 years on this earth been moved by any cause, not enough to actually take...