Skip to main content

Oh How I Love Weddings

My only sister Tanja got married on Saturday and my oh my, it was absolutely stunning.  People who know me will tell you that I do not gush at weddings or go “ah” when I see babies (besides my own two that is).  So imagine my surprise when Tanja comes walking down the aisle all on her own and I actually feel a couple of tears well...hello, where did that come from...

Tanja and Jaco got married on a sunny, but freakishly cold winter’s day in the beautiful Muldersdrift area.  The ceremony took place in a forest, it was stunning, even the two pictures that I took with my el cheapo camera are gorgeous, and the light is just perfect.  It was that crisp day that is only ever truly seen in Gauteng in winter.  Gorgeous, as if God is somehow trying to make up for the fact that Gauteng is ugly as hell in winter, He occasionally gives us this stunner of a day, well Saturday the 25th of June 2011 was just such a day!  There were little fleece blankies available and most guests needed these, especially the girls as they refused to believe an invitation that said that time would be spent outdoors!

But I digress...the bride was gorgeous in her unusual wedding gown, purple, grey and white, thank heavens it had long sleeves due to the cold.  Her hair, oh her hair!  She was a stunner.  I am not sure if I am allowed to refer to my then future, now brother-in-law as dashing, but hey, shoot me, I have always been a sucker for a man in a suit.  They were a picture of happiness and joy; the bride could not stop smiling throughout the ceremony.  I do not think that the two of them would have noticed if the guests all started stripping naked as they really only had eyes for each other.

The ceremony was stunning and the guests involved, the groom kissed the bride prematurely, the guests were all invited to tie the happy couple’s hands together with ribbons, a lovely gesture and as you can imagine a couple of folk tried to tie them together to infinity and beyond.

At the conclusion of the ceremony, we were given the yummiest hot chocolate I ever tasted and gluhwein, another sign of just how carefully the two of them planned this day.  Thank heavens I am still on a diet or I might have attacked the guests for some more hot chocolate...we then cast pebbles into the river making a wish for the happy couple as we did so.  Gorgeous.  No confetti, instead they were surrounded by a sea of bubbles.  The bubbles came in bottles with butterflies atop.   Detail detail detail.  You simply cannot write about a wedding without using such cliched words like I am doing now, so excuse me, I will be my dark and twisted self again tomorrow!

And then, a picnic!  Each couple had a picnic basket with their names on, delicious wine, oh it was beautiful!  A bonfire crackling in the middle of it all and a Bedouin tent patiently waiting for us to finish eating before the two of them opened the dance floor and did they ever open the dance floor!

Tanja and Jaco were toasted by their parents and every word rang true.  My own conclusion on these two is that they are living proof that every pot does have a lid.  I cannot begin to describe in just a couple of words how strange these two are, and like Jaco’s mom said, that these two of a kind managed to find each other in a world where 6.93 billion people live is truly amazing.  When I say they are strange, I of course mean this in the nicest possible way.  Spoken with loads of love like a true white collar worker...they are into weird music, books, basically everything unconventional. 

This was a day filled with laughter, happiness and joy, no pompous master of ceremonies, no singing of 'kinders my dosyne', not your everyday run of the mill kinda wedding, this was Tanja and Jaco's day, and it suited the two of them perfectly!

Now Happy Couple, I know it’s not your cup of tea, but on Saturday when I saw the bride walk down the aisle, my favourite song by the Parlotones came to mind, so this one is for the two of you...full of fantasy

Fairytales all tell a lie
In real life the good guys die
Let's go somewhere safe, to outer space
Let's climb to the moon

I have no desire for truth
No longer watch the gloomy news
Feed me fantasy, so I'll believe
We're gonna fly to the moon

Side step reality
Build my world on fantasy
Me and my Cinderella
We're gonna fly to the moon

We'll build a ladder, we'll build a ladder
And we'll climb to the moon
We'll grow some wings, we'll grow some wings
And we'll fly to the moon

And we'll dream with open eyes
Not in the recess of our murky minds
We'll dream with open eyes

Is this delicious creation of mine
As tasty outside of my mine
Me and my Cinderella we're gonna fly to the moon

And we'll dream with open eyes
Not in the recess of our murky minds
We'll dream with open eyes

We'll build a ladder, we'll build a ladder
And we'll climb to the moon
We'll grow some wings, we'll grow some wings
And we'll fly to the moon

The kingdom once rich in romance has lost its glow
Lost in our imagination we'll take it slow
Much like the book my Cinderella will vanish too soon
Out silhouettes ablaze as we fly to the moon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tinsel and all that glitters

And so the 1 st of December happened and we put up a tree.  A very simple version of a story that is just a tad longer… As in the past, I decided not to put up a tree at home as we leave for our annual beach holiday soon in any event.  Well after seeing trees, baubles, glitter and what not on Facebook, I felt extremely guilty for denying my kids the pleasure of Christmas for two whole weeks whilst my virtual friends’ kids were all rolling in the tinsel.  So I decided to put up the tree after all, how lazy can one person be.  Out came the box and the tree and the lights and horror of horrors, we are missing a leg.  So Luka and I went to the mall last night and got a new tree, a bigger tree and more sparkly things than we need.  If it says Christmas, and if it even has a hint of glitter, we have it, we even have fairy lights running up our balustrade, we have baubles and glitter and advent calendars, I really went to town on this one.  It is just that Christmas takes on a s

Raising Luka

A miracle happened in the past week and a half.   Luka went from being an utter little shit to a rather cute little girl.   We are still reeling with shock, waking up every morning waiting for an earth shattering blood curling tantrum, and then she calmly walks into our room, gets in bed with us, cuddles a bit and drinks her tea and off she goes.   We are literally dumbfounded by the turnaround in our little girl, and we are too scared to even speak about this, let alone tell strangers on a blog about this.   Luka is just different.   Not a single teacher ever described our Luka without using words like ‘feisty’, ‘strong willed’, ‘determined’.   Good when you are Margaret Thatcher or Helen Zille dealing with issues like unemployment and corruption, bad when you are a two year old girl with a mom and dad short of patience. What changed? I think two things happened, Luka started speaking much better and clearer than before, so we are better able to understand her wishes (comman

24 Weeks and Counting

So I went for my 24 week scan today.  These visits are normally something to look forward to, but in my experience these have never been great as I have received bad / damning news on so many of these.  Well, all is well, Luka weighs 600 odd grams and we could see her face clearly, she looks just like Liam did on his scans.  The placenta is holding and doing its job, so all looks set for an uneventful birth this time - we live in hope!   I also spent the night sewing!  I made some pink cushions for the baby room, amazing how the nesting instinct kicks in when you are pregnant.  I normally hate sewing, but as soon as I am pregnant I cannot resist.  I also thought last night that it is amazing to see life come full circle, Liam fell asleep in front of the television and Gerhard carried him to bed, it feels like yesterday when we were kids and our own fathers carried us to bed.  I am starting to realise every day how we only understand what our parents went through once we have kids