Skip to main content

And we almost made it through winter...argh!


It is August, August and Liam (and Luka mind you) has not been sick even once.  I put this down to a couple of things:

  1. Liam is in a new school where rules are laid down a tad more stringent than at the old school.  There is a sick bay and when you are ill, your mommy gets a call and has two hours flat to come and collect you;
  2. A friend suggested that I give Liam iron supplements daily, kids do not eat enough red meat and legumes to provide enough;
  3. We have just been so busy, there has not been any time to get ill.

And then, yesterday morning, Liam wakes up all snotty, clogged up and coughing...poor thing, and we were so close.

Now, my question is this, why do kids only ever get ill on Sundays or public holidays (yesterday was women's day in SA), when a) You battle to get an appointment with any GP in SA and b) If you do manage to get an appointment, you pay an arm and a leg for the privilege of seeing said doctor?

Well, we decided not to overreact, I nebulised Liam this morning, gave him some Calpol last night.  We also gave him a bit of Celestamine to get rid of the phlegm.

Gerhard always jokes, he says that we might as well deposit our respective salaries at our GP and at Baby City.  Someone is always sick and you spend the equivalent of the GDP of a small African country at Baby City, think nappies and formula...

So, I dropped off Liam at school today, runny nose and all, I am hoping for the best, nothing worse than that phone call, your kid is sick and must be collected immediately.

Comments

  1. Just to add insult to injury...Luka's school called yesterday, she is not well - visited my favourite GP in the world and she suffers from allergies...go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...