Skip to main content

Liam is at work with me today

Tomorrow is yet another public holiday in South Africa and as these things happen, the schools decided that today is a school holiday.  As if it is not enough that we have loads of public holidays, weeks on end of school holidays, we have ad hoc school holidays too.  Bliss.  And without realising what I was in for, I gave Sekai a week off, so she is in Zimbabwe, unaware of the fact that Liam's school is closed for the day.

Well, Gerhard and I decided to take leave and go away for the weekend, but we left it a tad on the late side, and could not find anything, so I decided I am not wasting an entire day's leave, to heck with it, I am bringing Liam to work with me.

A teeny tiny part of me is wondering why on earth I volunteered, the entire floor of my (usually pristine) office is covered in sticky sugar, the remnants from a packet of jelly tots eaten at 9 am.  Liam is picking his nose, my floor is littered with website printouts of dinosaurs, I coloured an ultrasuarus, Liam, a T-Rex.

Lunch will be something oily and unhealthy from the canteen, think chips and toasted ham and cheese.  Maybe I will throw in a milkshake for good measure.

Work wise, did I get anything done thus far, well, I had a meeting (thank heavens a colleague).  Liam was watching a movie on my computer, dropping his jelly tots on the floor and telling this man that it is about to snow, in his bestest english.  The meeting was also interrupted by a bathroom break...nice.

As for poor Luka, well her school is open today, so she went to school, there is just seriously no way in hell that I will cope with both kids at my office at the same time.

Add to this the fact that Liam is the baker at school on Friday, so on Thursday afternoon we will be making or making something.  Next week is my turn to decorate the fantasy corner in Liam's class, the theme, reptiles.  Goody, lucky me.  It is at times like these that I envy the stay at home mom, yes, it is still hard work, but at least you should in theory have more time to spend on baking and fantasy corners, heck, it is a stay at home mommy that decided the fantasy corner needs themed decorating in any event...

Good times, noodle salad...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...