Skip to main content

I love homework

Yesterday was a super bleak day, occupational hazard of the company secretary, you spend your days in meetings.  Yesterday’s meetings were harder than normal, horrible meetings, way too long, points that were debated much longer than normal, and add to that 4 sleepless nights, a terrible headache bordering on migraine...
All in all, a bleak day, a long day, a day that made me question my career...
So when I got home last night and read all my e-mails, I see that Liam needs a spring day crown to wear on Friday, he also needs to take a bunch of flowers as they will be handing out these flowers at the office park close to his school.  So a couple of harsh words along the line of the teacher and her beeeeehind came to mind.
So after bath time, Liam and I (begrudgingly) start making flowers out of paper, we drew the outlines, made some glitter flowers, added pompoms, made a busy bumble bee, coloured, cut, used glue...
Imagine my surprise when I had fun, my headache disappeared, I smiled, sang songs.  Crafts really do make you feel better.  Maybe teacher Hannetjie is on to something. 
Look, my flowers are not pretty, but hey, I played with glitter. I made pink flowers, a smiling bumble bee, I had fun!
I cannot wait for Teacher Hannetjie’s email next week; I sure hope we need to make something!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leopard print boots

Liam recently insisted on getting a new pair of sneakers, he no longer wants the velcro kind, he wants proper shoe laces.  We went to Woollies on Sunday, the three of us, within minutes Liam found the perfect pair of shoes.  Army camo...high top sneakers no less.  Happiness.  Keeping these shoe laced tied when you are almost five and unable to tie them, well lets just say that that is a story for another day, when you have more time... Luka in this time found her own shoes...she walked past pink, blue, purple, black and brown boots - she walked past Wellingtons, past pumps, sneakers, all lovely in their own right, straight to a pair of boots .  Not just any boots, these are boots made from leopard print fabric, covered in glitter, pink trim, fur lined, imagine the blingest boots on the planet, now multiply your wildest thoughts with about 100 and you may just have some insights into what I am talking about. She put on said boots, probably two sizes too big, ...

The state of the world we live in

Before having kids, I used to read newspapers and watch the news on TV all the time.   My current affairs were really very up to date and I knew the names of most heads of state and had insights into the economies of several states.   After having kids I know the names of all the teletubbies, I know the words to most nursery rhymes and I can recite the content of a couple of kid’s books when woken at 3am.   I also know that you need more than twenty coins to buy a house.   My knowledge of current affairs these days comes from the bits of news I can gather on the radio in the morning in between getting my brood dressed for school and most of their teeth brushed.   I also need to get myself dressed and hair blow dried, lunches packed and the like in a very limited amount of time.   Getting kids dressed really is an ungrateful job and if I do not check underneath all the winter’s clothes, I fetch Liam at school in the afternoons and see the oddest thing...

Indulgence

My husband jokingly refers to my (numerous) sessions at the spa as my hobby.  He says that if going to the spa was a sport, I would have national colours, I would probably even qualify for the Olympics.  We all have a vice I say, golf for Gerhard, the spa for me, drinking fine wines, smoking cigars, the list goes on.   So this week Friday I am off to the spa with the girls and I cannot wait, I have no preference - I can spa alone or in groups, day, night, its all the same to me.  Upmarket, start-up, once again no preference.  Serious spa where you sip mineral water and eat lemon slices to detox, bliss, more commercial versions where you sip champagne in the spa bath and eat chocolates at the conclusion, any one will do.  I am if you will a spa groupie, anywhere, anytime, anyway... Poor Gerhard though, his hobby is golf, that must be done in conjunction with similarly minded people, mostly men.  They all need to agree on the course, the time, and ...